This week’s EMC meeting was on Marie François Xavier Bichat (1771-1802) and Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744-1829). It was also my week to present and I had a lot of fun with these texts, building on our conversations from previous classes and trying to draw some connections to last year’s discussions.
Bichat: Physiological Researches upon Life and Death (1800)
- Reiterating a Critique of Foucault
- Organized and Brute Matter vs. Living and Dead Matter
- Physical and Vital Forces: Lamarck vs. Buffon and Bichat
- Living Bodies and their States: First Proposition
- Living Bodies and their States: Second Proposition
- Reactive Power vs. Intussusception